The president of the United States crawled into a catering truck. That is not a metaphor. On July 8, Donald Trump boarded the legacy Air Force One in Turkey, then was secretly shuttled out on a food cart to a smaller Air Force C-32A, which carried him to the UK while the plane everyone thought he was on flew on without him, transponder dark, full of reporters and White House staff who had no idea they were now the decoy.
This is the part where the usual chorus says, “Well, security measures are legitimate.” And they are. Bill Clinton used a decoy plane to Pakistan in 2000 when intelligence pointed to a surface-to-air threat. But Clinton disclosed the ruse once he was safe, and his White House briefed the head of the White House Correspondents’ Association beforehand. The Trump White House briefed no one. Not the press. Not the Gang of Eight. Not even the people it left sitting on the decoy plane in Iranian missile range.
Acroterion (CC BY-SA 4.0) via Wikimedia CommonsLet that settle. The same administration that spent March insisting Iran had “no air force” and “no anti-aircraft systems,” with Pete Hegseth promising “complete control of Iranian skies,” was in July sneaking the president out the back of his own plane because someone in the Situation Room believed Iran could shoot down Air Force One. Iran had already downed two American jets in early April. Every claim this administration made about a decapitated Iranian military was a lie, and the proof is that they hid the president in a catering cart.
Then they kept lying after the danger passed. Trump told reporters on the flight home, “No. No. Why would there be?” a security concern. Moments later he explained the closed window blinds by saying “you’re probably on a dangerous flight because of the sleaze bags that we have to deal with.” The sleaze bags, apparently, being the same Iranian military his own Defense secretary had declared nonexistent.
Acroterion (CC BY-SA 4.0) via Wikimedia CommonsThe people on that decoy plane, journalists and staffers, were used as props in a security theater without their knowledge or consent. Former Secret Service agent Robert McDonald raised the obvious question on CNN: what security was actually provided for the people left on that 747? Marco Rubio, asked directly whether the administration put reporters and staff at risk, walked past the question without answering. That is not a dodge. That is an admission.
And when the New York Times reported that the Qatari-gifted jet had been swapped out for security reasons, the White House issued subpoenas to the journalists involved, claiming someone was “threatening national security by leaking classified information.” They withdrew those subpoenas two weeks later, after a judge made clear he found the argument laughable. A sprawling internal investigation followed, with officials told to hand over their phones. The national security leak they were hunting was the story of their own incompetence.
Shealeah Craighead (Public domain) via Wikimedia CommonsDavid Axelrod said it plainly: “If they needed to take such extraordinary steps to protect the president because the threat level was so high, the American people deserved to know that the threat level was that high.” He is right. The public has a right to know when the government’s own intelligence contradicts the president’s public boasts about a foreign adversary’s military capability. The press corps has a right not to be flown into a war zone as an unwitting decoy. And Congress, through the Gang of Eight, has a right to be briefed on a threat credible enough to trigger a presidential shell game.
What happened on July 8 was not a security success. It was a security failure dressed up as a magic trick, performed by an administration that would rather subpoena reporters than admit it lied about Iran. The catering truck worked. The accountability has not arrived.